Friday, April 25, 2014

O for a thousand tongues to sing!

Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. (James 3:5 NIV)

I love old hymns! I was reminded of this hymn by this bible verse. Here are a part of the lyrics:

O, For A Thousand Tongues To Sing"
Oh, for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer's praise
The glories of my God and King
The triumphs of His grace

My gracious Master and my God
Assist me to proclaim
To spread through all the earth abroad
The honors of Thy name

So come on and sing out
Let our anthem grow loud
There is one great love 
Jesus

We so often focus on the evil of the tongue. I'm not here to dispute that. I have seen it myself and know it to be true. But, I have also been a witness to the great beauty of voices lifted up in praise to God. We are so capable of praising God and praising our brothers and sisters. We are capable of igniting passion for Christ. Through our own uplifting words, our own attitude of service, and our own enthusiasm for Christ we can spread the Gospel like wildfire. 

The tongue can be used for Christ! Something as simple as the telling of our own life story can change a life. The response of praying for a person in need can redirect a life of the lost. Words of encouragement for one of our Christian leaders can sustain a ministry. Casual conversations with coworkers, family, and friends can open doors for the gospel. 

Yes, we are capable of using our tongues for good. We can do it and we must do it! Praise God for his perfect design. Praise God for voices lifted to him! 


No comments: