Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Check your attitude!

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Corinthians 9:7 NIV)

I am teaching a seminar at school on the book "7Habits of a Highly Effective Teens". This is the second time teaching this book study. This seminar is getting better all the time. I'm a math teacher and getting to do this 6 week seminar is so refreshing because it gets to the heart of living life. Although not a Christian curriculum, the 7 habits parallel how we are to walk our lives as followers of Christ. One focus is on doing positive acts for others and ourselves. That matches this verse. We need to serve others, not out of compulsion, but out of joy! If we want to have a great life we need to center our attitudes on giving cheerfully. I'm not talking about financial giving. I'm talking about working, serving, playing, ministering, exercising, reading, praying, all out of a cheerful attitude. 

Sometimes the easy thing to do is give financially. It's much harder to give of our time and energy. Giving of ourselves at our place of employment is more than just doing our job. It's more than just serving time. Our attitude of service should extend to our employer just like it does our church. We should serve our coworkers, cheerfully, in the same way. Working out of duty or obligation is not what we are called to do. I love my school. I would do anything for my coworkers, my administrators, and the students. I love seeing them everyday. I will constantly look for ways that I can make their lives better. The same holds true with my CMA ministry. If I can't do it cheerfully, I'm not going to do it. I don't do it out of a sense of duty. I do it because I love to do it. My life is better because I love the things I do, everyday!

Check your attitude. Are you giving of yourself cheerfully? Are you serving with a smile? Are you demonstrating the positive power of Christ throughout your day?

No comments: