Monday, December 2, 2013

Who knew?

But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever. (Psalm 52:8 NIV)

I learned something tonight. I have read the Bible since I could read. I have read the story of Noah and the olive branch returned by the dove. I know of the mount of olives and I have eaten olives.  Yet, I really have known very little of the olive tree, until now.  This little tree is a key part of life in the Middle East. In Israel, this tree was used for food, shade, building, healing, and cooking oil. The tree itself is said to be indestructible. It can live through, heat, cold, drought, wet, fire, and many other extremes. Some trees have root systems that survive over 2000 years. It is truly an important symbol of God. 

When I rely on God, live by his will, I am just as indestructible as an Olive tree. I can not thrive on my own. Olive trees need the same hand of a God to thrive as I do. When I flourish it is always in the house of God. His presence and strength are transferred to my life like that of the Olive tree. Praise God for his love, mercy, grace, and strength.

No comments: