Monday, January 24, 2011

Bigger, Faster, Stronger with God!

Psalm 18 (New International Version, ©2010)
 1 I love you, LORD, my strength.

 2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
   my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
   my shield[b] and the horn[c] of my salvation, my stronghold.

Our athletes spend a lot of time in the weight room. They spend at least three days a week in the off season and two days a week minimum during the season getting bigger, faster and stronger. There is not a single sport that strength is not a key aspect. Even our folders workout in the weight room to get the most out of their bodies. A good golf swing takes strong legs, abs, and arms. We work on agilities, speed, flexibility, and power. We use many tools to improve in these areas. We need to work hard in the weight room in order to really make improvements.

David constantly talks about the strength of God. He uses terms like rock, fortress, refuge, stronghold, shield, and strength to depict the character of God. But he also says that God is "my strength". I think everyone would like the strength and power of God. But, how? Well, it's just like the athlete. We can't expect to get stronger in the Lord without working out. We have to use Gods strength to develop our own. We can't just do it three times a week. We have to develop our strength through constant contact with the almighty. If we don't work hard at overcoming our weakness, we won't improve. God's strength can be our own, if we pray, study God's word, and learn to trust him. We can attain that perfect spiritual body through the grace of God.

No comments: