Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 -- A new Start!

After a week off,  I am ready to attack another year of Blogging!

I have really been trying to get an idea about what I was going to do this year. Every year for the past 9 years, I have read through the entire Bible every year. I don't think God demands this, but it has been a way to get me on a schedule to be disciplined in my study of God's word. I have noticed when I do this, I get rushed because I have a deadline of about 3 chapters a day. I am sure God would prefer I spend more time reflecting on smaller pieces than  trying to meet some arbitrary deadline. SOOOOOOOOO, I am going to jump around, in some of the books I have really wanted to study more in-depth, instead of going start to finish. Wish me Luck!


Psalm 1 (New International Version, ©2010)

 1 Blessed is the one
   who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
   or sit in the company of mockers, 
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, 
   
and who meditates on his law day and night. 3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
   which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
   whatever they do prospers.
 4 Not so the wicked!
   They are like chaff
   that the wind blows away. 
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
   nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
   but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.


Military tradition and procedures fascinate me. Have you ever heard the command "Ten-hut" According to Wikipedia:

Ten-hut

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ten-hut is an American military term that means, "Come to attention!" It was shortened from "a-ten-hut" and came into use because it is easier to say at full shout than "attention."This command does not officially exist as a US Military command phrase. Use of "A-ten-hut" or "Ten-hut" may result in a "dressing down" from an Officer or NCO. Some units are not as strict with its use.
The correct order to come to the "position of attention" is; The Preparatory command: (ie. squad, platoon, company etc.) followed by the Execution command: "Atten-tion"

I think it is fascinating to watch military personnel march or interact with each other. The salute and standing at attention to signify respect of a superior officer is so honorable.  Our world does not honor or respect people like they used to. We don't open doors for women, we don't stand when a dignitary enters a room, and we don't respect our bosses or people in authority over us.

In a way, we Christians are honoring sinfulness by many of our actions. In an attempt to change the world and build relationships with Non-believers, we join them. Many times I talk like them, tell the same jokes, or at least laugh at them. Sometimes I even join in the mocking of another Christian or God himself. I show more respect for the sinful than the Righteous. I place the "World" and what it thinks above God and the things of Heaven.

God does not want me to march in step with sinners. I am to break ranks with the "World".  People have to be able to tell the difference between a Christian and a Non-Christian. I KNOW I am a sinner, but when I accepted Jesus as my Savior, I chose to take a different path from the rest of the world. I chose to act differently and in so doing, be blessed by the creator of the universe.

I personally know how tough this is. It is so easy to justify inappropriate actions in the name of building relationships with non-christians. As followers of Christ, we must act IN the world, but no act LIKE the world.  It seems more often than not I try to act like the world.  In 2011, I need to be a changed person, to act differently than I did in 2010. I need to take the power and strength of Jesus Christ and apply that to my life in real and tangible ways in 2011.

Dear Lord, Help me be a changed person in 2011. Help me to be the vessel of your Love in a sick and sinful world. Help me to be your light in darkness and to resist the evil around me every single day. Thank you Lord for what you will do through me in this New Year!

No comments: