Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I wish people could be like dogs!

Psalm 12 (New International Version, ©2010)

 1 Help, LORD, for no one is faithful anymore;
   those who are loyal have vanished from the human race. 
2 Everyone lies to their neighbor;
   they flatter with their lips
   but harbor deception in their hearts.



We have a dog. "Copper" is a Basset Hound who acts like a cat, sometimes. (I hate cats!) Stephanie and I have had a long line of dogs in our lives. We have had Bitsy, Hershey, Tootie, Princess, and probably more that I can't remember. I'm not sure why we keep getting dogs. They can be a nuisance. They dictate our schedule sometimes. We can't go out of town without making some special plans to take care of the dog. But, the best part of owning a dog, they are loyal to a fault. People could learn a few things about loyalty from dogs. Regardless what type of day I've had, Copper is always happy to see me. When I've had a bad day, he doesn't ask a lot of questions, he doesn't pry, he doesn't have to know all the details. He just wants to spend time with me in silence. He doesn't feel the need to butter me up with less than heart felt praise. He doesn't criticize me when I make mistakes. He always wants to be with me regardless what I've done.  He never lies to me and he's never deceptive. He is what he is, a dog.

I wish people could be like dogs. It seems the real art of loyalty has been lost.  Faithfulness seems to be temporary. 'til death do us part is just a saying. Loyalty, is faithfulness or a devotion to a person, country, group, or cause.  I think this definition is missing one thing, FOREVER! You can't be loyal for a short time. You can't be devoted to something or someone unless it withstands the test of time. Loyalty is not earned through a set of rules or requirements. Loyalty, Devotion, and Faithfulness are all apart of my walk with Christ. The Lord of this Universe is the true example of Loyalty, Faithfulness, and Devotion. God walks with me regardless of the good, the bad, and the ugly. He is constantly waiting for me regardless of my mistakes. He is always truthful and never deceives. He is the most loyal friend I could ever have. I can only hope to be as loyal!



No comments: