Sunday, January 30, 2011

I need a chariot!

Psalm 20 (New International Version, ©2011)

7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
   but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
8 They are brought to their knees and fall,
   but we rise up and stand firm.
9 LORD, give victory to the king!
   Answer us when we call!


I am pretty confident I don't know anyone who trusts in chariots and horses over God! I am not sure when the last time I saw a chariot. I think it would be cool to ride to school, park my horse and chariot,and go to work. I get stares when I ride the Harley, this would get me a few more strange looks.

But, do you rely on your wealth to protect you? Do you rely on your social status? Do you rely on your charm, personality, or good looks? (I can definitely say no to the last three!) We do have a tendency to put more trust in earthly things than God. Well, in the old testament the wealth, prestige, and power were all connected to horses and chariots. When we rely on these things, we are going to fall. That's a guarantee. There is no wealth, power, prestige, or victory without Christ. Our failures seem to always happen when we forget where the real power is.

dear lord forgive us for misplaced trust. Forgive us for neglecting you in favor of our earthly things and pride. Purify our hearts, our minds, and our spirit! amen!

No comments: