Thursday, January 27, 2011

Think before you Speak!

Psalm 19 (New International Version, ©2010)

13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
   may they not rule over me.
Then I will be blameless,
   innocent of great transgression.

 14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
   be pleasing in your sight,
   LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.



10 years ago this week my Dad passed away. He was a great man. He was a Methodist Minister that started in the ministry very late in his life. Psalm 19:14 is a great reminder of my Dad. My Dad started nearly all of his sermons with this prayer. He was so sincere about this. He wanted to make sure that the words he spoke in each and every sermon were words from his Lord, his Rock, and his Redeemer. He lived his life the same way. He wanted to make sure the words of his mouth were always from the Lord. I am sure he struggled with this like all of us. But, it was the goal of his life.

We should all be as careful as my Dad about what we say. Words can be so hurtful. With our own words we can build-up or tear-down. With our words we can commit the most heinous of sins or deliver the most righteous praise. Because of the power of words, we should choose them very carefully. How many times have you been told to think before you speak? Oh, how true that is. What a great world we would have if we would all start with this little prayer before we speak. "May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer."

No comments: