Sunday, November 16, 2014

Boycott to Honor Thanksgiving Day!

My heart is not proud, Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content. (Psalm 131:1-2 NIV)

I just watched a report on the news about all the stores opening on Thanksgiving day this year. A young lady is protesting a major retailer because her mom isn't going to be able to be at home for Thanksgiving with the family. I am so saddened by our inability to slow down. Everyone always complains about the busyness of our society. We never do anything about it. This young girl is taking a stand.  I am proud of her and I am joining her.

My wife mentioned there are many others that have to work in hospitals, military and law enforcement. I also honor them and thank them for their service. They are necessary. A retail store opening on Thanksgiving is NOT necessary.

We, or should I say, I need to slow down, calm and quiet myself. That is what Thanksgiving is about. That day is about shutting out the outside world an spending time with the ones you love. It's about stopping all the craziness and focusing on the blessings of God. We just don't do that enough. Even when we do spend time together on Thanksgiving we throw in football games and other things that get in the way of the true meaning. Thanksgiving is a celebration of the gifts of God.

Please, I plead with all of you, HONOR THANKSGIVING, honor the day for what it is meant. Get up early on on Friday morning and attack the BLACK FRIDAY madness if you must. But, honor the day of Thanksgiving first, don't go shopping. Let the retailers know the day is sacred for thanking God!

No comments: