Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tongue Tied!

Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil so that I take part in wicked deeds along with those who are evildoers; do not let me eat their delicacies. (Psalm 141:3, 4 NIV)

Sometimes I just can't stay quiet. Even if I know I should, I can't. I can be drawn into a war of words even when I don't want to. Some people are better at provoking me. Do you know the type? They really are evil and they take delight in gossip, mean talk, negative conversations, and insults. When I get around them I really have to fight the urge to join in. But, the older I get, more seasoned, I find that I can control my tongue. It's not from my great will power. It's the working of his spirit in me. I'm not perfect but God has given me greater wisdom. I can see where conversations are heading and cut them off at the pass. I still slip  from time to time but I try.

Our mouthed can be so dangerous. We need to tame it for our own sake and that of others. Praise a God I can, with his help! He has a way of tying my tongue!

No comments: