Monday, April 8, 2013

Not ME!

Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. (Psalm 119:36, 37 NIV)

It is so easy to be self centered when things are going great and it's easy to blame God whe it's not!

When riding a motorcycle it's easy to get fixed vision and that can be dangerous. When riding you have to constantly scan and anticipate. You need to constantly prepare for the worst while enjoying the ride.

The hard part of life is to keep focused on things that matter. It's easy to get fixed vision on the wrong things. I love sports, motorcycles, technology, social media, and road trips. Those things are worthless if they get in the way of my real lIfe. I am directed to go and make disciples. I am to be a light in the darkness. I can't do that if I am focused on ME. I can't focus on what makes me feel good. I have to focus on what is pleasing to God and in line with his word.

I can't stay focused on the things of value with out help. So, I need to stay on constant contact with him. I need to listen to the voice of his spirit and act on that voice. I need to serve as he would have me serve, not serve my own selfish needs. It's not easy, but with the help of Jesus, all things are possible!

No comments: