Monday, November 1, 2010

We are not Great.........God is Great!

Revelation 3 (The Message)


7Write this to Philadelphia, to the Angel of the church. The Holy, the True—David's key in his hand, opening doors no one can lock, locking doors no one can open—speaks:8"I see what you've done. Now see what I've done. I've opened a door before you that no one can slam shut. You don't have much strength, I know that; you used what you had to keep my Word. You didn't deny me when times were rough.
 I belong to a great church. County Line Church of God in Auburn, Indiana. This church has a rich history and continues to grow like it has over the years. When my grandparents visited our area they attended this church while my family attended a church in Fort Wayne. I remember them talking about loving this little country church. Many years have gone by since Grandma and Grandpa Lewis visited CLCG. It is so ironic that Stephanie and I attend this church now.

  Yesterday, Stephanie and I had a unique opportunity to speak about how God has worked in our lives and the life of our Daughter Kelley. In short, Kelley was born with Spina Bifida. 5 months before her birth, we were counselled to abort the pregnancy. Because of our upbringing, we couldn't even consider it. Well, when Kelley was born she was not supposed to ever be able to walk, sit, crawl, or lead a meaningful life of any consequence. They said she would probably be institutionalized. Now, 25 years later, Kelley is completely self sufficient, she walks, drives an adapted car, graduated from high school and is a complete miracle of God. She has endured 13 operations and God has brought her through each one in a very real and miraculous way.
The service yesterday was very powerful and had a profound affect on, not only Stephanie and I, but also many others. Amazingly, it also happened to be that Kelley decided to come home this week (she lives on her own in North Carolina and hadn't been able to visit in nearly a year). She was here visiting and attended church with us yesterday. It was just amazing to have her here when we were sharing about how God has worked in her life.
The reason I am sharing this with you, God opened this door for us to share our story. He put everything in place for us to be at our church. He had set everything in motion years ago when my Grandparents were visiting CLCG. He opened the door in a very powerful way and no one could close it. He prompted Stephanie to respond to the previous sermon. He touched Pastor Stuart with Stephanie's story. Everything was orchestrated by him. He used us from the very beginning with the purpose of being able to share with others.
I am so thankful to be used by God. I am awed that he thinks we are worthy to be used. Stephanie and I have done nothing of real consequence in our lives. But, God has taken our average lives and made them more than special. We are just examples of how God can work through weak and inadequate people to do a great work. We are not great but God is!

No comments: