Saturday, November 13, 2010

Preach it Grandpa!

Revelation 14 (The Message)

 6-7I saw another Angel soaring in Middle-Heaven. He had an Eternal Message to preach to all who were still on earth, every nation and tribe, every tongue and people. He preached in a loud voice, "Fear God and give him glory! His hour of judgment has come! Worship the Maker of Heaven and earth, salt sea and fresh water!"

MY Grandfather Lawrence Lewis was a Church of God preacher. He was a great preacher.  I love my pastors I have now. I loved to hear my Dad preach. Each preacher I've heard has had a special, individual way  to present the message of God. For some reason, I thought of my Grandpa Lewis when i read this passage from Revelation. The best memories I have of my Grandpa Lewis preaching was from Smithfield CHurch of God. For those of you who haven't been to Smithfield, and not many have, it's a little stop sign near Muncie, Indiana. Smithfield also is the home of Wapahani High School. My Grandfather had such a powerful presence in the pulpit. He was a rather tall man and he had such a confidence in his preaching. When we visited Grandpa, we attended church on Sunday Morning, Sunday Night, Wednesday night and Thursday night, and on many other occasions. Even when i was tired and napped in the church Pew, Grandpa's preaching had an impact. I don't remember one of his sermons, but I remember the message he always spoke:  "Fear God and give him glory! His hour of judgment has come! Worship the Maker of Heaven and earth, salt sea and fresh water!" He could have been a Biblical writer. His message was always straight from the Bible. 
Even though I don't remember a specific sermon, I remember his most important sermon. I remember the sermon he lived every day of his life. He was a true servant of God. He never had a lot of wealth and I'm not sure he ever owned a home. But, he was rich and he was filled with the spirit of God. He was a preacher by trade and a true disciple with his life. I hope to continue that tradition with my family. We should all be the same type of servant he was. Thanks Grandpa for your example and love of God!

No comments: