Saturday, November 6, 2010

I think that I shall never see..........

Revelation 7 (The Message)

 1 Immediately I saw Four Angels standing at the four corners of earth, standing steady with a firm grip on the four winds so no wind would blow on earth or sea, not even rustle a tree. 2-3Then I saw another Angel rising from where the sun rose, carrying the seal of the Living God. He thundered to the Four Angels assigned the task of hurting earth and sea, "Don't hurt the earth! Don't hurt the sea! Don't so much as hurt a tree until I've sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads!"



Here's an oldie but a goodie. I hadn't read this poem in a while. But, with the fall season in full swing and nearing it's climax, the beauty of the trees always brings me back to this poem:
I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,         
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
Joyce Kilmer. 1886–1918



I have been so blessed to view many of Gods great wonders. I have traveled this great country and marveled towering mountains, the greatness of deep gorges, and the open expanse of the rolling prairie. Even with all these travels, I can't imagine anything more stunning than the change of color in the fall. We always talk about the beautiful metamorphosis of a Butterfly. Is the metamorphosis of a tree less amazing? In the winter, we completely ignore the tree. It's dead and lifeless. Valueless? In the spring, I start to recognize the trees. Some of them flower and I'm always interested in seeing the buds because I know the weather is changing.  This recognition is short lived. Once late spring hits and summer temperatures take over, I again, take for granted these wonderful creations of God. I might enjoy the shade on a hot day, but rarely do I take much time to admire the tree. But, when Fall comes and the leaves explode in color, I'm instantly amazed with their presence. Trees quietly go about their lives. They are as reliable as the rising and the setting of the sun. We take them for granted in all seasons. They slow down the power of the drifting snow and provide shelter from the heat and cold. Once a year, they provide the greatest fireworks display we could imagine.

Our wonderful God created the tree. They are true gifts of a powerful God.  Take the time to enjoy the tree. Slow down. Take a walk through the woods. Admire this quiet creation. Admire and Praise the God who created them.  We sometimes take him for granted as much as we take the tree for granted.  We ignore the tree in the winter. We ignore God when things are going well. He's with us in every season. He loves us and cares for us even when we don't acknowledge his presence. Nothing can separate us from his love. He is more majestic than the tree.

Dear Lord, Thank You for your creation. We take for granted all your wondrous creation. Help us to stop. Help us to slow down and admire this world you've given us. You are an amazing and powerful God. We take you for granted too. Please forgive us. Help us to take the time to worship you, to love you, and to love your creation. Amen!






No comments: