Sunday, November 28, 2010

Casting Lots for President!

Luke 1 (New International Version, ©2010)

 8 Once when Zechariah’s division was on duty and he was serving as priest before God, 9 he was chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple of the Lord and burn incense. 10And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.


It is amazing to think that the important task to be carried out by Zechariah was decided by "lot". For those of you who don't know what this is, it's the modern day equivalent of rolling the dice. The reason it was used was to keep this event from being decided by politics.  The ancient biblical world used this method all the time to let God speak to them and make important decisions. This act of "gambling" is quite biblical.


Proverbs 16:33
33 The lot is cast into the lap,but its every decision is from the Lord.


I recently was elected as a CMA officer -- Chaplain. It felt so uncomfortable running against a fellow CMA brother, Mike Harrold. I don't like the idea that I "Won" the election. Our former Chaplain was great at carrying out his duties. He and his wife (Cathy) are such special people. I have only known them for a short time, but I can tell you their hearts are full of God's love.  This past year they were open to the leading of the Holy Spirit and worked diligently as our Chapter's Spiritual leader. I am awed and a bit overwhelmed at being in this position for 2011. 


So, I wonder why we didn't cast lots to decide who would take the positions in our Chapter. It certainly would have been fine with me. Since we are all believers in the providence of God, maybe we should do this more often. It would certainly keep us from making poor selections. We could just leave everything up to God to decide. How refreshing would that be? I can't count the number of times I have debated with myself over and over again trying to decide which path to take in life.  I have lost many nights sleep trying to decide employment, financial, personal, or family decisions. So many times in my life I came to a fork in the road and had to decide which road to take. I know the saying is take the one less traveled. But, I'm not sure that saying is of God!


We make decisions in our daily lives completely on our own. How many of you prayed about who to vote for in the last Presidential election? Are you sure your choice was "of God"? Or, do you think your decision was influenced by your own preconceived notions? Maybe if you had cast lots, you could guarantee that it was God's choice and not your own. Wouldn't that be amazing if we left our presidential elections up to divine chance. Instead of an election day, we could have a day of prayer and meditation asking God for divine guidance. Then we would Cast Lots and the winner would be president. Would you be willing to take this chance on your important decisions?  What about deciding on a career move?, a financial move? a relationship decision? 
Reall, Casting Lots is the easy way out. The tougher approach and I think the approach God would have us choose, is to build a relationship with the him. If you grow in your knowledge of God, you will know what he thinks and will be able to make decisions based on that. Knowing God through the Bible and through Prayer is much better than casting lots to make decisions. If you truly pursue God, God won't let you down. You're decisions might not always work out as YOU plan, but I guarantee they will work out as God has planned. I'm not saying there is no place for casting lots. Like I said before, it is biblical. I'm saying that if we listen closely for the voice of God, our decisions would be much better. But, God can speak through all situations, if we are willing. If we pray about it and think it's in Gods will, maybe we could cast lots and then sit back and watch the power of God!


Dear Lord, Thank you for blessing me with my CMA family. I am honored to be their Chaplain in 2011. Please use me for your purposes. Guide me in my decisions, keep me from decisions that are out of your  will. I truly want your will in my life and need you to protect me from my own sinfulness. Thank You Lord, for your love. Thank You for caring about me! Amen!

No comments: