Sunday, October 31, 2010

Snooze Alarms!

Revelation 3 (The Message)


 1 Write this to Sardis, to the Angel of the church. The One holding the Seven Spirits of God in one hand, a firm grip on the Seven Stars with the other, speaks: "I see right through your work. You have a reputation for vigor and zest, but you're dead, stone-dead. 2-3"Up on your feet! Take a deep breath! Maybe there's life in you yet. But I wouldn't know it by looking at your busywork; nothing of God's work has been completed. Your condition is desperate. Think of the gift you once had in your hands, the Message you heard with your ears—grasp it again and turn back to God."If you pull the covers back over your head and sleep on, oblivious to God, I'll return when you least expect it, break into your life like a thief in the night.

I was a Math teacher. I have to admit that some days I assigned busy work just to keep my students from getting on my nerves. This work would be helpful in their Math studies, but it wasn't always necessary. But, most of the time I tried to make sure my students had meaningful homework. I always let them work on it together. I would always be available to answer questions and used this work to make sure the students understood the material. I have known some teachers who give more busy work than meaningful work. Some of my colleagues have been copy machine experts. They spent most of their time copying worksheet after worksheet of problems for students to complete. Even if a student has mastered the material, they still have to go through the process. I also know of teachers who teach everything by video. They have a video day every friday and can adapt any feature film for their own personal lessons. 

Some christians are also great at busy work. I get the feeling that some people believe the more work you do, the better your chances of getting preferred seating in Heaven. These "Busy Bodies" are long on Content and short on substance. I kind of picture them as the modern day Pharisees. They get so bogged down with the details of their faith, that they never actually develop a relationship with the Father. Some of these people spend more time in service to their church than they spend in bible study, prayer, and building a meaningful relationship  with their Lord in Heaven. 

It is entirely possible for us, as Christians, to get bogged down in the process and lose site of the goal of our lives. When God speaks to them and tries to get them to put their faith in action they just hit the snooze alarm, pull the covers over their head, roll-over, and go back to sleep. We can't do this. We need to listen for Gods voice, we need to spend our time with him, get our marching orders from him, and be about the task of doing his work. That is our only goal. Their is no other work as valuable as the assignment we have received from God. I need to stop wasting time on the "fluff" and concentrate on what is important! Sometimes it's alot easier to hit the snooze button than it is to get up and get to work for Christ. But once we take that step and get up out of bed, the rewards are amazing. 

Dear Lord, Be patient with us in your work. We know that we work for you but many times we follow our own agenda. Help us Lord to focus on your assignments and taking your word and applying it to ou every day lives. Amen!

No comments: