Friday, November 26, 2010

Proof!

Luke 1 (New International Version, ©2010)

Introduction
 1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled[a] among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

Well, My favorite Holiday -- Thanksgiving -- has passed. Now all steam ahead to Christmas. Since I have gone through the entire New Testament this year and finished early, I thought I would go back over the wonderful story of Christmas from the Book of Luke. I hope you enjoy!

The Book of Luke is probably the most complete Book of the Bible when it comes to documenting the Birth of Jesus. Luke was a Physician. He authored this book and probably the Book of Acts.  He is a very smart man and spent his whole life pursuing the story of the Messiah. He also was the nearly constant companion  of Paul. This seems appropriate because Luke was a gentile and Paul was sent to minister to the gentiles.

Luke is a man after my own heart. I have a Mathematics Degree and I love thoroughness and order. My job as Athletic Director is centered around "Order" I have schedules and lists and systems in place to make sure my life stays "In Order". I do not survive very well in chaos. I like a neat and orderly house. Stephanie just hates it when I go through the cupboards and organize everything. She can never find anything after I get done. When you know that about Luke and understand he was a very learned and logical man, you can appreciate his place as a Biblical Author. He would have gone to great lengths to make sure every one of his stories about Jesus were true and able to be verified. With such detail, it is so shocking to me that people don't just flock to Christianity. The Bible, The Story of the birth of John, and the Story of the Birth of Jesus are true. The detailed account provided by the hand of Luke with the guidance of the almighty, is a fascinating TRUE story.
We are asked to take the story of Christmas and the entire Bible on Faith. Well, I apologize, but my faith is probably not as pure as it should be. Because I am a Man who depends on logic, I am not easily swayed by taking anything by Faith. I loved teaching Geometry because it was all about Proofs. Love Proofs. Yet, Proofs and Faith seem to be at odds with each other. Clearly, the Bible constantly asks us to believe on Faith alone. In my short 50 years of life, I have done a lot of exploring and reading and I am convinced the truth of the Bible. It all makes so much sense to me. A few years back I ran across a book called "The Case for Christ" written by Lee Strobel. Lee was a former Christian skeptic and investigative journalist. He undertook a journey to disprove Christianity and the beliefs in the Bible. At the conclusion of his journey, he was strongly convinced the Bible and Christianity are true.  He is just like Luke. Lee Strobel is also a very logical and intelligent man.  There is enough proof out there to say the Bible and the story of Christmas are absolutely TRUE.

But, the most important reason I believe so strongly in the truth of the Bible and the truth that God came to visit us in the life of Jesus Christ, is simple. The reason my logic and validity can not be questioned is also simple. I have personally experienced the Gospel message! I have witnessed the personal power of Jesus in my every day life. These experiences can not be explained away apart from the working of the Holy Spirit. Nothing could ever change my mind because no one can explain my wonderful life except through the grace of Jesus Christ. Nuff said!


No comments: