Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Praise God, not man!

Revelation 22:8-9 8I, John, am the one who heard and saw all these things. And when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me. 9But he said, “No, don’t worship me. I am a servant of God, just like you and your brothers the prophets, as well as all who obey what is written in this book. Worship only God!”

With our new life of freedom, I heard someone say they "envied us". While I do love the plan God has laid before us. I had to really think about what was said. My life and this new life we are jumping into, will not be perfect. It somehow seems glamorous or maybe romantic. But, it will not be perfect and I expect plenty of trials as we try to live in a "tiny house" style environment. It is so easy to get caught up in someone else's life, to almost, worship their lives.  I really look up to Billy Graham. His life was such a great example to others. I have had pastors, friends, and colleagues I have really looked up to and in some ways, envied their path.  But, I need to be careful NOT to take this healthy respect and admiration to a level of worship. I need to realize they and the life the lead is not perfect and they too experience much the same hills and valleys I face. We also need to make sure we discourage others from glamorizing our own lives.

Billy Graham, Martin Luther King, and most of our other great spiritual leaders would admit they are not perfect. Most real leaders do not want others to adore them or even count them as special. I really get that from our current Vice-President, Mike Pence. I have met him personally and had a brief conversation with him. I truly got the feeling that he is just an ordinary man who holds an extraordinary office. I see him on the news or on a talk show and I get the same sense as when I met him. I have a healthy respect for him. I admire his conviction and how he has lived in the "fish bowl" of politics.

We are expected to lead by example. We need to try to lead a life that is pure and focused on the Lord. But, we are not to promote ourselves as perfect. We are not to give the impression that our lives are perfect, clean lives with no turmoil, or struggle. As a matter of fact, we should do the opposite. People need to know about our lives and how the Lord has led us through the struggles and pain. Our lives are not our own. They are to be used for the Glory of the Lord.

No comments: