Sunday, January 13, 2013

Student evals!

“The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master.       It is enough for students to be like their teachers, and servants like their masters. If the head of the house has been called Beelzebul, how much more the members of his household! (Matthew 10:24, 25 NIV)

I just put the finishing touches on a student course evaluation survey for me high school students. We are nearing the end of my Algebra 1class and the halfway point of my Geometry class. I value the opinion of my students. It is so important for me to seek out their input. Some will give it every day and others will never share. In reality, I don't need to know their opinion about the MATH. I am more interested if I am getting to them. Are they better today than they were yesterday? Do they feel I am treating them fairly? Am I consistent, do I rush, what do I need to work on, what are my strengths? Good or bad I want to know.

Maybe this is how God feels about us. He really doesn't need us to pray to him. He will survive just like he has for eternity if we don't talk to him. But, he wants us to spend time with him. He wants to hear our frustration. He wants to hear our anger and pain.  He wants our evaluations of how things are going. I certainly don't put the students opinion above what I know is right , but I still want that sharing. God will always know best even when we think WE do. He still sits patiently, listens, and empathizes with us. He moves on our behalf because of our pleas and prayers.  He is the great teacher and I the student. I love sitting in his class! I love being in the presence of his wisdom and love. I want to be like him, I want to love like him. In order to do that I need to spend time with him.

No comments: