Wednesday, January 9, 2013

You need motorcycle eyes.

“The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy,  your whole body will be full of light. (Matthew 6:22 NIV)

One of the important rules if the road for a motorcyclist is: where your eyes are you motorcycle will follow. It's so easy to get focused on a ditch or the side of the road. When you do, you're in for trouble. In my less than scientific survey, the majority of motorcycle accidents occur because of misjudging the safe speed to take a turn. I've ridden some pretty amazing roads on "Harley" and if I keep my eyes focused on where I want him to go, he will go there. Seems simple. The more I practice that the Safer I will be. Riding a motorcycle can increase your visual awareness. You always have to focus and be completely aware of your surroundings. I've even noticed it helps to have "motorcycle eyes" when driving a car.

My life is much the same way. I don't know who said it but, "where the eye of your heart is focused, your lips and feet will quickly follow." Just like riding, I have a tendency to lose sight where I'm going. It takes every bit of concentration for me to keep my eyes focused on Jesus. I have to spend time in prayer. I have to spend time studying his word. I have to focus my thoughts on him throughout the entire day. When I look away, bad things are going to happen. The more I focus on him, the easier it gets and the easier it gets to focus on the important things in my daily life.

Lord , help me stay focused on your plan for my life. Help me to not drift off your road. Help me to keep from being blinded by sin and my own selfish ambition.Amen.

No comments: