Monday, January 14, 2013

Burn Out!

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28 NIV)

Have you ever felt "Burnt Out"? You hear about it all the time. Athletes, business leaders, politicians, educators, volunteers, coaches and a host of others experience burn out.

I have always thought of this verse when I'm physically tired and it has always brought me rest. I have found my devotional time helps fight fatigue. Attending Sunday morning worship does the same. It's like a trip to Florida on spring break. It's refreshing. God does not want us to burn out. I think this is particularly true of ANY ministry. I've only been a member of CMA (Christian Motorcyclists Association) for 4 years and already I've seen people step back from leadership due to burn out. Ministry can be physically and mentally draining. It is worse if we try to do it all on our own. I see two extremes. One, is the Christian who sits in church on Sunday and doesn't do anything through the week. The other, is the opposite. They are involved in everything and quickly grow weary.
          As Christian Soldiers, Jesus has given us marching orders to GO throughout the world and spread the gospel. He expects us to be in ministry forever. That doesn't mean he wants us to grow tired and eventually have to step away. He wants us to seek his guidance, his direction, and his wisdom in all our ministries. If we are in Gods will, we will not Burn Out. We will not need to get out of the game. We will stay fresh, energetic and vibrant for him.

We need to go to Christ for his rest. He will keep us from getting tired. He will renew our strength and we will mount wings like eagles for his glory and his honor.

No comments: