Thursday, March 17, 2016

Vicious Cycle

3He committed the same sins as his father before him, and he was not faithful to the lord his God, as his ancestor David had been. 1 Kings 15:3Sometimes it is hard to break with family tradition. The traditions of my family are positive and I love them. We travel to Spring Break together. We cheer for the same teams. We celebrate holidays with a great sense of tradition. We worship together and share a powerful faith in the Lord. Sometimes family traditions are not positive. I see poverty and lack of education as family traditions also. It's a vicious cycle that is so tough to break. I feel for the students I see that have a difficult time navigating their way through our education system. Many times the parents don't see value in education. They  have survived without an education and they expect their kids will also survive. Even if they wanted to, they don't know how to help their students because they weren't successful either. Sin and lack of faith are often the toughest "family tradition" to break. I know so many people that never group up in the faith. So many have never been to church, read the bible, or prayed. Their parents and their parents parents have survived without faith, they expect they will do the same. They don't know of the value of faith, right here, right now. That saddens me more than I words can express. My job is to share the gospel in a way that people want what I have. My job is to expose people to the Love of Jesus that don't see that love anywhere else in their lives. I need to let people know there is a better way and it is through Faith in a loving and powerful God. We must break the traditions. If we can affect even one person it could impact generations to come.

No comments: