Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Loyalty and Dedication

15David remarked longingly to his men, “Oh, how I would love some of that good water from the well by the gate in Bethlehem.” 16So the Three broke through the Philistine lines, drew some water from the well by the gate in Bethlehem, and brought it back to David. But he refused to drink it. Instead, he poured it out as an offering to the lord17“The lord forbid that I should drink this!” he exclaimed. “This water is as precious as the blood of these men who risked their lives to bring it to me.” So David did not drink it. 2 Samuel 23:15-17

          When I read these verses, I instantly thought of the men and women serving in our military. David wanted some fresh water. He did not ask his men to go. They went, on their own, to get their leader some water, apparently, some pretty fantastic water. They never hesitated to serve their leader. They had no other goal than to serve their king, at all costs.
          I am loyal to my school and the students I serve. I am their servant. I want nothing more than to help them succeed. Just like David's soldiers, I will go to great lengths to help them. Much of the time my efforts are to help them successfully complete Math topics. I struggle when they struggle and I rejoice when they succeed. I like to think that MATH is only a small part of what I teach. I want to teach them the same dedication David's soldiers lived. I want them to know how to keep attacking problems even when they hate it, or get frustrated. I want them to NEVER GIVE UP. Sure I don't want them to give up learning math. But, they will face many life situations a lot more important than math. I want them to know they can accomplish anything with persistence and dedication. I want them to learn love and dedication to something greater than themselves. I want them to develop the heart of a servant.
           God has never given up on me. He could have. I won't give up on my students. We all need to have people that will fight for us. We all need to have people that will believe in us. We all need to have someone that would sacrifice their own well being to meet our own wants and needs. David's soldiers were dedicated to him in a very powerful way. God is devoted to us in that same way. I am devoted to my students with no limits. 

          Dear Lord, I praise you for your dedication to me and my family. I am humbled by your sacrifice that I might live in eternity. Help me to be an example for my students and the staff I serve with every day. I love you and honor you with my life. Amen!

No comments: