Thursday, March 12, 2015

Tired of reading how great you are!

JJesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. (John 14:6 NLT)

I love social media. It is a great way to communicate with friends, daughters, grandkids, and coworkers. I get a great deal of my news from social media and I love the inspiration people post. The one thing I've learned from social media that surprises me is not the vulgarness of some people, it's not the adult humor, or the senseless posts. My biggest shock is how social media exposes how conceded some people are. 

If your like me you get sick and tired of posts where people boast how great they are, how great they are as a mom, teacher, wife, or Christian. It seems so many people tout how hard they work, how great their impact is on students, or the value of their volunteerism. Don't people have any humility? Is humbleness even valued in our society? Do they need this format to feel self worth?

This verse may seem like boasting by Jesus, it certainly is not. It is not a statement of bragging, it's a statement of who he really is. After this statement of fact there is no doubt who Jesus is. It's like giving someone a calling card. When you make a calling card it's purpose is to tell others exactly who you are. Jesus wanted to leave no question so he told them. Yet, if anyone had the right to brag it would be the son of God, right? Yet, even Jesus was humble and did not exploit others for his purposes.

Dear Lord, please teach those around me to be humble. I'm not perfect and you are VERY AWARE OF THAT. I know my weakness and so do you. You know my sins and the battles I face every day. Please Lord draw me nearer to you heart. Give me an attitude of HUMILITY, service, grace, and love as I await your guidance. I praise you and thank you for loving us so much you gave your son for us!

No comments: