Thursday, March 5, 2015

Compromise

They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths. (Psalms 119:3 NLT)

We have lost the art of compromise. When I say we I also include Christians in that group. Our unwavering attitudes, mine included, are symbolized by this Psalm. It seems to give us the right to be stubborn and unwavering. Because Jesus is the way, THE TRUTH, and the life, we believe we have a corner on what's right and what's wrong. I agree there is only one way to life eternal and that is through Jesus. We should be unwavering in what we believe and the word of the Lord. I believe Jesus died for my sins, rose from the grave to defeat death, and is coming again. But sometimes the truths I know give be a boldness that borders on arrogance. Knowing the ultimate truth is used to set ourselves apart from nonbelievers. It's not a productive attitude. We tend to forget we are all sinners and no one sin is greater or lesser than another.

Why not live this verse:

Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. (Colossians 3:13-15 NLT)

When we compromise we do not have to compromise our faith. When we disagree with the world, how we handle that attitude is critical. A Major League, openly Christian,  baseball player was asked how he would react to a gay teammate. He took the opportunity to say how misrepresented Christianity is about this issue. He said, 

“Maybe, as a Christian, that we haven’t been as articulate enough in describing what our actual stance is on homosexuality. We love the people. We disagree the lifestyle. That’s the way I would describe it for me,” Murphy told the Star-Ledger.

He continued: “It’s the same way that there are aspects of my life that I’m trying to surrender to Christ in my own life. There’s a great deal of many things, like my pride. I just think that as a believer trying to articulate it in a way that says just because I disagree with the lifestyle doesn’t mean I’m just never going to speak to Billy Bean every time he walks through the door. That’s not love. That’s not love at all."

“I don’t think the fact that someone is a homosexual should completely shut the door on investing in them in a relational aspect. Getting to know him. That, I would say, you can still accept them but I do disagree with the lifestyle, 100 percent,” he said.

These statements are out of love. Can't we agree to disagree and compromise to the point we don't treat each other as evil! Can't we live together or play on the same team together without hating or even ignoring each other. I don't wish evil on gays and lesbians. I don't want to ignore them. I want to show them the exact same love that Jesus shows me, even though I am a sinner. I am strongly against abortion, yet, I long to show love and compassion for those who have gone through it. They deserve our care. I don't hate democrats and refuse to spew hate about them and our president. We disagree on politics. I think we can all agree that we need to love and care for our fellow man.

Compromise doesn't mean abandoning principle. It means going beyond the disagreements to show love to everyone we meet.


Dear Lord, direct my life in a way that is pleasing to you. Help me to love everyone and to show compassion to those who I disagree with. It's about loving them and I know you want me to show that love to everyone, especially those not like me. May I be able to compromise without going against your plans for me. I praise you for your wonderful love and grace. Amen!

No comments: