Thursday, October 14, 2010

Not too Proud!

1 Peter 5 (The Message)

 4-5...... And you who are younger must follow your leaders. But all of you, leaders and followers alike, are to be down to earth with each other, for— God has had it with the proud, But takes delight in just plain people.


What is wrong with being proud? When you read this verse and when you look through the Bible, there are countless examples of "Proud" people. Most of the time when the Bible refers to the proud, it is not a positive thing.

Job 33:17 " ...to turn man from wrongdoing and keep him from pride,"

Psalm 10:4  "In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.

Proverbs 16:18 "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."

So what's wrong with being proud?  Look at the definition of pride:


  • a feeling of self-respect and personal worth
  • satisfaction with your (or another's) achievements
  • the trait of being spurred on by a dislike of falling below your standard.
  • be proud of; "He prides himself on making it into law school"
  • unreasonable and inordinate self-esteem
Pride is centered around us! When you are proud of something you are happy about something YOU have done. When was the last time you did something great? When you did something great, who got the glory?  What part did God play?

"Just Plain People" know that everything they have and everything they are comes from the Lord. They know they are nothing special. "Just Plain People" know that God sets the standards and that our own standards are weak, at best. Selfishness or self-centeredness leads us in a direction away from the Lord . When we are prideful, we start down the road to self-centeredness. Sometimes the trip back is difficult. I need to resist pride. My pride keeps me from relying on the Lord. My faith in Christ has no room for pride in my own accomplishments. Really, I have no accomplishments. I only have accomplishments through Christ who lives in me. 

Dear Heavenly Father, Please Lord destroy the pride in me. You alone Lord have provided for every gift and every blessing I have. Please help me realize the world does not revolve around me. Help me to be a delight to the Lord. I just want to be a plain person, happy with who you have made me! Amen!

No comments: