Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My wife's Not Equal!

1 Peter 3 (The Message)

 7The same goes for you husbands: Be good husbands to your wives. Honor them, delight in them. As women they lack some of your advantages. But in the new life of God's grace, you're equals. Treat your wives, then, as equals so your prayers don't run aground.




1 Peter 3 (New International Version)


 7Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.


Oh what a slipper slope I am about to walk on!

Peter has something to share for all of us in this chapter. I'm not fond of the wording because it stretches my thoughts about this very sensitive topic. My wife is a wonderful lady. She is a fantastic mother, wife, coach, teacher, and friend.  I don't consider her my EQUAL, she is much MORE than me. I wish I had her skills in working with kids. I wish I had her sensitivity in relating to my daughters. I wish I had her ability to juggle everything with all the "hats" she wears. I don't want to be critical of what it says in the Bible, but I really don't consider her the weaker partner. She has shown more strength through our life than I can dream of.
When it comes to following these instructions from Peter, she does a much better job than I do. She has treated me with so much more honor than I give her. God delights in her because she has concentrated her whole life to pleasing others. That includes me, my daughters, her students, and everyone else she meets.

We husbands, have all the advantages. In our families and with our society we hold the places of honor.  We are more the King of our domains than the servant of all. I would say most wives are treated more like servants than Queens. We get higher wages when we work and we get more time to relax when we're home. I, I mean WE, get all the toys!

Somehow, I need to change this. I am so sorry I do not do a better job honoring my wife, treating her with honor and respect, and delighting in her. I need to be more considerate. At the very least, I need to treat her as an equal. I really need to treat her so much better than that. Sorry Steph!

Dear Lord, Please forgive me for not being a better partner for my wife. She is such a wonderful blessing in my life. Help me to be more gracious, more loving, and a better husband. She deserves better! Amen!

No comments: