Monday, October 4, 2010

Crisis Plan?

James 1 (The Message)

 2-4Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.


  I keep a prayer journal and get prayer requests from my own family, my CMA family, from work, from my Church, and from my own life.  One of my most popular prayers is also popular with others. "Lord, why me?" It is a difficult prayer to answer. One of the most popular prayer requests are from families facing cancer. How can you respond to someone facing cancer? How can God expect us to consider cancer a "sheer gift"? How can God expect us to consider it a sheer gift when a mother of 2 dies in a tragic car accident? How can God expect us to consider it a sheer gift when a husband loses his job and unemployment runs out?
I wish I had a great answer. Maybe James had it right. When I am under pressure, my true nature is exposed to the world to see. I see this on a small scale when I'm tired.  When I get tired, I get cranky. I have to admit I'm not a very good witness of my saviors love, when I'm tired. I can't imagine how I would act if a "real" crisis were to come my way. I see so many examples of people who go through real trials and their faith shines through like the noon day sun. I have seen people slowly die of cancer for over a year and their faith grow every step of the way. I have attended funerals that are great celebrations  of a christian life.
I can truly say I'm not prepared for a crisis in my life. I hope God realizes this. So, how do we get prepared for the crisis that might be around the corner. Heres my plan:
Stay in continuous contact with God -- Pray without ceasing. I want to make sure the communication lines are open now. When a crisis comes I know who I will contact first.
Learn God's plan -- Read, Study, and absorb the word of God. The Bible is full of people who have faced every type of crisis. Some handled it well and others didn't. God has the best crisis plans.
Develop a network of Christian friends -- No one wants to go through a crisis alone. The best companions in a crisis are those who know the final victory is through Christ. 
Help others -- The best way to develop your own crisis plan is to be involved with helping others through their own crisis. Being there for someone in a crisis is a true statement of Christ's Love.


No one wants to face a crisis. I certainly am not looking forward to it. But, I can't even imagine going through a crisis without the love of my savior and the power of God in my corner. God is in charge of all things. We don't know his ways, but he knows what he is doing. We have to trust him!


Dear Lord, Thank you for your plan for my life. I know that you provide blessings and strength through good times and bad. Help me prepare, Lord. Help me to be there for others going through a crisis. Help my faith to grow and mature through your will. Thank You for the gift of your son! Amen!

No comments: