Saturday, October 23, 2010

Face to Face is best!

2 John 1 (The Message)

 12-13I have a lot more things to tell you, but I'd rather not use paper and ink. I hope to be there soon in person and have a heart-to-heart talk. That will be far more satisfying to both you and me. Everyone here in your sister congregation sends greetings.


I have a blog. I don't use pencil and paper much any more. Some people are very critical of this fact. Computers are replacing paper and pencil. I can type just about as fast as I can write with a pencil. If you compose as you write, it is so much easier to go back and reword on the computer. When I compose with pencil and paper, I go through a lot of erasers. What did we have before pencil and paper? I never had to use a quill pen. I'll bet that was a pain. I taught with chalk boards and then graduated to a smart board. (If you don't know what that is, google it!) Now the trend is to get away from textbooks and go to with online texts. I know this is also controversial. I'm not sure why. It is so much easier to get up-to-date textbooks if you don't have to wait every 4 years or so. Also, with the cost of textbooks, a computer is CHEAPER! My final comment, join the real world, dump your pencil and paper! BUT........................................................you also need to dump your computer from time to time in favor of face to face communication. People don't have Heart-to-Heart talks enough! This is going to sound like I am a hypocrite but, the computer isn't the ultimate answer to communicating (neither was pencil and paper).  Just like paper and pencil, you can't tell the emotion behind the computer. You can't get the sense of the heart of the communication. How many times have your emails been misunderstood? When we communicate by computer, we absorb the information with a limited filter. When we communicate face to face. We get to use all of our senses to filter the info. Some things just need to be said face to face. Like, witnessing. Your own christian testimony loses so much if it is just written. The power of your testimony is in your heart. You can't reproduce that on pencil and paper or on the computer. You can try. But, sometimes words are not enough. I'll admit, sometimes our tongue gets us in trouble. The pen or the keyboard can be equally as dangerous. Don't just rely on it to share. Face to Face, Heart to Heart is always best!

Dear Lord, you gave us marching orders to GO. Help us to realize that is a physical command. Help us to communicate your message the best way we can. Help us to use face to face and heart to heart talks. We need your words, we need your thoughts, we need your heart. Help us to be the best witness we can be. Help us to Go into all the world and share your wonderful story by every means possible. Amen.

No comments: