Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wisdom!

James 3 (The Message)


 13-16Do you want to be counted wise, to build a reputation for wisdom? Here's what you do: Live well, live wisely, live humbly. It's the way you live, not the way you talk, that counts. Mean-spirited ambition isn't wisdom. Boasting that you are wise isn't wisdom. Twisting the truth to make yourselves sound wise isn't wisdom. It's the furthest thing from wisdom—it's animal cunning, devilish conniving. Whenever you're trying to look better than others or get the better of others, things fall apart and everyone ends up at the others' throats.17-18Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life and is characterized by getting along with others. It is gentle and reasonable, overflowing with mercy and blessings, not hot one day and cold the next, not two-faced. You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor.

Wisdom is illusive! I pray a lot for wisdom. Why? Because I always pray for things I lack. I truly lack wisdom.  I want to be counted as wise. I want to develop a reputation for being wise. But, I'm not. When I think of wisdom, I think of an old grey haired man sitting on the front porch of an old house, in his rocking chair and giving advice to a young man. But, these verses take that much deeper. Wisdom is not being smart. If you look deeply in these verses, you can see what real wisdom is and what it's not. I can sum these verses in one way. By the definition of James, Wisdom is all about relationships. It's not how smart you are. It's not the things you say. It's  not cutting someone else down to make yourself look good. It is not about being cunning or conniving to get your way. It is about honest relationships with others and the creator of the universe. It completely starts with getting along with each other. It starts with treating each other with value, dignity, and honor. 

Lord, I want to be wise. I want to build valuable, meaningful relationships with strangers, people at church, friends, co-workers, and family. I am terrible at this and need your help. Keep me from making the mistakes James pointed out in his book. I don't want the wisdom of this world, I want the type of wisdom that can only come from you. Please Lord give me the strength and courage to do just that. Please provide me with your wisdom! Amen!

No comments: