Wednesday, October 20, 2010

And that's only the beginning!

1 John 3 (The Message)

 2-3But friends, that's exactly who we are: children of God. And that's only the beginning. Who knows how we'll end up! 

When I was a little kid, I was cute. I had that early 60's haircut. It was neatly parted on the side, trimmed nicely, no hairs touching the ears. This was always done at our regular trip to the local barber shop (Cecil's Barbershop). I was a well behaved puny little kid who was quiet, worked hard in school and obeyed his parents. (Those of you who know me, don't laugh! I can prove every statement. Just ask my Mom!) Somewhere along the line I changed.  Somewhere along the line, this cute little kid might have lied to his parents (once or twice); he got a little lazy at school; he was convinced to try cigarettes and a couple of other bad, unhealthy habits; he gave his life to the lord at Center Chapel United Methodist Church just outside of Muncie, Indiana, but continued to prove the fact we are all sinners. I'm not the same cute little kid. I never imagined that I would be the person I am today.  I started my life in such an innocent time. I grew up as our world began to change. I remember staying up all night and waiting patiently for the first man to walk on the moon. I watched the real Apollo 13 splash down in the Pacific. I grew up through the assassination of the Kennedy's and Martin Luther King. I grew up to see the start and end of the Vietnam War. I grew up in the "Age of Aquarius" and the development of the internet! Now look at me, I'm a Blogger!

Even though 50 years have slipped by and a lot of me has changed, I'm not done changing. With all of my "experience" you might think I would have a better idea who I'm going to be in another 20 years. I don't have a clue. I don't know what dumb mistakes I'm going to make. I don't know the people who will come into and out of my life. I don't know what jobs I will hold, or  what my family will look like. I don't even know if I will still be on this earth.  I think that's a part of the excitement of this life we've been blessed with. God knows where we've been, he knows who we are right now, and he knows exactly who we will become.  When I think back over my life, I am truly amazed at how God's plan has been revealed in my life.  So many times in my life I have worried about this "Major" problem or that major "Crisis". Yet, here I am. I started life  a Child of God, I'm a Child of God now, and in another 20 years, I will still be  a child of God. My Heavenly Father not only knows the road I'm about to travel on, he paved it. He has planned every inch of my path. He might put a couple of bumps in the road, but I can't wait to see my destination!  This verse sums it up when it comes to my life up to this point: "And that's only the beginning!"

Dear Lord, I love you and am excited about my life with you. I can see your hand in my life from 50 years ago to this very moment. I know I panic when I face trouble. But, I can look back now and see that you were there every step of the way. I trust you and your plan. I look forward to the excitement that I will face in the rest of my life. The only way I can face any of that is because of you, Lord. I praise your name and worship you! Amen!

No comments: