Saturday, October 16, 2010

Two steps forward and one step back

2 Peter 2 (The Message)

 20-22If they've escaped from the slum of sin by experiencing our Master and Savior, Jesus Christ, and then slid back into that same old life again, they're worse than if they had never left. Better not to have started out on the straight road to God than to start out and then turn back, repudiating the experience and the holy command. 


This is the story of my life. I take two steps forward and then one step backward. If you go through life this way, progress is very slow. I don't consider myself a "backslider" but I am still a sinner. I do a couple of great things and then all the sudden I do something stupid. I am so interested in focusing on relationships, building up others, helping them, praying for them and serving them. Then right in the middle of doing good things, I say something stupid or hurt someone. For someone who displays his Christianity out in the open, (Like on a Blog!), I should know better.

When I first read these verses I was thinking about the big "Backslider". I was thinking of those people who claimed to be a Christian and then get into drugs, alcohol, infidelity, or other "Big" sins. Then I remembered -- Sin is Sin. For someone who doesn't know Christ, we expect them to act like a sinner. But, for someone who knows Christ, like me, they should know better. It is so destructive for Christians to carelessly sin. It is so counter to our message when we treat others poorly. If we take this to an extreme, we can keep people from God with a misplaced word or deed. We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard. I'm embarrassed to think about this in my own life. I don't mean to hurt others. My intentions are good. My sinful nature gets in the way. So I keep moving...............Two Steps Forward and One Step Back.

Lord, Please help me conquer the sin in my life. I know that I am hurtful to others around me. I know that I need to be more careful of my words and my actions. Please forgive me for hurting others. Please forgive me for my hurtful words and my sinful actions. Lord I love you and want to serve you in everything I do. Amen!

No comments: