Monday, September 26, 2022

Forgotten Books of the Bible - Hosea - 6 - REPENT!

 

This photo was taken on our journey to Jericho, looking across the Jordan Valley to ancient region of Gilead. The city of Gilead is mentioned in Hosea. It was a sinful place, much like our world today. 

'“Come, let us return to the Lord . He has torn
us to pieces; now he will heal us. He has
injured us; now he will bandage our wounds. ' Hosea 6:1 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/HOS.6.1

The single thread that ties the ancient scriptures of the Old Testament and Jesus' New Testament is REPENTANCE. John the Baptist and Jesus both echoed the need to repent and turn to God


'About this time Jesus was informed that
Pilate had murdered some people from Galilee
as they were offering sacrifices at the Temple.
“Do you think those Galileans were worse
sinners than all the other people from Galilee?”
Jesus asked. “Is that why they suffered? Not
at all! And you will perish, too, unless you repent
of your sins and turn to God. And what about
the eighteen people who died when the tower
in Siloam fell on them? Were they the worst
sinners in Jerusalem? No, and I tell you again
that unless you repent, you will perish, too.” '
Luke 13:1-5 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/LUK.13.1-5

Hosea 6 is clear that God wants us to return to him. He wants to restore us from the damages of our sin. He wants us to come to know him. He wants our love and not our sacrifices. He doesn't want our burnt offerings. He wants to restore us and bless us. 

'Oh, that we might know the Lord ! Let us
press on to know him. He will respond to
us as surely as the arrival of dawn or the
coming of rains in early spring.” “O Israel
and Judah, what should I do with you?”
asks the Lord . “For your love vanishes like
the morning mist and disappears like dew in
the sunlight. I want you to show love, not
offer sacrifices. I want you to know me more
than I want burnt offerings. I sent my prophets
to cut you to pieces— to slaughter you with
my words, with judgments as inescapable as
light. But like Adam, you broke my covenant
and betrayed my trust. '

Hosea 6:3-7 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/HOS.6.3-7

I know we don't give sacrifices to God in the twenty-first century and I don't know of too many churches offering burnt offerings. But, God's plea is the same today as it was in the Old Testament and the New Testament. We are called to repent, and admit our sins against God. We are called to turn back to God. He will heal us and restore us to a right relationship with him. There are no special requirements of us. We don't have to sacrifice anything. All he wants is a commitment and dedication to loving him. THAT'S ALL. 

Don't let anyone convince you that your sins are too great. Don't let anyone tell you it's too late. GOD wants to save you from sure death and all it takes is to: 

ADMIT YOUR SINS AND ASK JESUS TO BE YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR. THAT"S ALL!  

Will you do that today!

If you want to make Jesus the Lord of your life and turn from the sins of the past, contact me. I would love to pray for you and help you on this new path. I commit to helping you and not leaving you to figure this all out on your own. 

Contact me --- rhoadzie@gmail.com






No comments: