Monday, September 19, 2022

Forgotten Books of the Bible - Hosea 2 - Do we care?

 



'She doesn’t realize it was I who gave her
everything she has— the grain, the new wine,
the olive oil; I even gave her silver and gold.
But she gave all my gifts to Baal. '
Hosea 2:8 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/HOS.2.8




When I think of the Garden of Gethsemane, I think of nothing but sadness. Jesus prayed to his Father and he begged his closest followers to join him. Instead, they fell asleep.  They didn't care enough to even join Jesus in prayer. 

As I read through Hosea I also get a feeling of great sadness, God's sadness.  Israel had rejected God. The nation was torn in two by ignoring God and his perfect plan. They took for granted everything God had done for them. Their celebration of Passover, the Sabbath, and numerous other festivals were hollow events.. They didn't care about God. They didn't miss GOD. God blessed them because of their relationship. But, all they wanted was blessings!

Do we really care about our relationship with God? Do we care about disappointing him? Do we care just because we want his blessings? Do we spend more time in prayer went we WANT SOMETHING from God? The people of Israel took all the blessings and gave those gifts to Baal, a worthless idol. When God blesses us, do we rejoice in our relationship or do we take those blessings for our own glory?

Even though we live our lives like we don't care about God, he still pursues us. He wants to WIN our hearts. Look what God says after being so soundly rejected:

'“But then I will win her back once again. I
will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly
to her there. I will return her vineyards to her
and transform the Valley of Trouble into a
gateway of hope. She will give herself to me
there, as she did long ago when she was
young, when I freed her from her captivity
in Egypt. '
Hosea 2:14-15. https://my.bible.com/bible/116/HOS.2.14-15


Dear Father in Heaven, 

Forgive me for not caring about my relationship with you. Forgive me for selfishly wanting only your blessings. I truly do love you Lord. I am yours and you are my God. May I draw closer to you everyday, experience your loving embrace and the joy of fellowship with you. All I need is you! Amen!




No comments: