Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Forgotten Books of the Bible - Ezra - part 1

 



'And we know that God causes everything to
work together for the good of those who love
God and are called according to his purpose
for them. ' Romans 8:28 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/ROM.8.28

I do not know about your Bible Study, but for me, I have many books of the Bible I just ignore. Sure, I have read them. Usually, I read them in passing while I am trying to read the Bible in a year. But, I never really spend much time in them. If I believe God has placed this wonderful book together for the purpose of teaching me his truth, teaching me right and wrong, and preparing me for good work (2 Tim. 3:16-17), then I think he means us to read and study ALL OF IT! So for as long as it takes, I am going to study the books from God's word that I have considered obscure! Don't judge me! Some of you are going to say you can't believe I have ignored this book or that book. I am looking forward to hearing the voice of God!

EZRA - 1

After seventy years in captivity, Israel finally gets permission to return to Jerusalem, to the promised land. King Cyrus of Persia helps them in the process to return home.

Two times in the first chapter of Ezra it says "He {God} stirred the heart of Cyrus" and later "Then God stirred the hearts of the priests and Levites and the leaders of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin...." 

I love how God works inside us. So many times I think I have a great idea, when in reality it is God stirring my heart. I love taking credit for what God is doing in my heart! LOL! God is also stirring the hearts of other people in our lives. Some of them, like King Cyrus, aren't even believers. Isn't that a wonderful thought? God is using those who are far from him to fulfill his plans for us. That wonderful, reassuring thought, should keep us from the hate we sometimes feel for those who oppose us. I am sure the people of Israel did not hold King Cyrus or any of the Persian leaders, in high regard. Yes, later they would look back and be thankful for this freedom. But, up to that point, it had been a long 70 years of captivity. There was no joy in being away from home, away from Jerusalem, forced to live in a pagan culture, to be outsiders that were oppressed and mistreated. 


Is God stirring something in your heart?  Can you see God working in your unbelieving boss or your unbelieving friends? Can God work through our unbelieving national leaders?  

I pray God will stir something in your heart and that we will all recognize his stirring and also see his hand in the lives of our non-Christian friends to fulfill his purposes. He is able to do all things and we need to trust he is working for our good!

No comments: