Friday, August 5, 2022

Israel 2022 - Reflection #31 - Garden of Gethsemane

 


When I read any book, I build a picture in my mind as I am reading. That is part of the fun of reading. It is also very true of the Bible. When we got to the Garden of Gethsemane, I felt I had been here before. To my amazement, it was exactly as I had envisioned while reading. I love Mark's account of Jesus praying at the Garden of Gethsemane.

'They went to the olive grove called Gethsemane, and Jesus said, “Sit here while I go and pray.” He took Peter, James, and John
with him, and he became deeply troubled and distressed. He told
them, “My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay
here and keep watch with me.” He went on a little farther and
fell to the ground. He prayed that, if it were possible, the awful
hour awaiting him might pass him by. “Abba, Father,” he cried
out, “everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of
suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.
” Then he returned and found the disciples asleep. He said to
Peter, “Simon, are you asleep? Couldn’t you watch with me
even one hour? Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give
in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”
Then Jesus left them again and prayed the same prayer as
before. When he returned to them again, he found them
sleeping, for they couldn’t keep their eyes open. And they didn’t
know what to say. When he returned to them the third time, he
said, “Go ahead and sleep. Have your rest. But no—the time
has come. The Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
Up, let’s be going. Look, my betrayer is here!” ' Mark 14:32-42https://my.bible.com/bible/116/MRK.14.32-42

There is no debate about why Jesus came here. This place was quiet and peaceful, even in the middle of a hot, hot day, I could sense calm in this place. As I read this scripture and reflect on Jesus' agony, my initial reaction is why couldn't James, Peter, and John just stay awake. Couldn't they sense, couldn't they see the agony on Jesus' face? To walk from Jerusalem to Gethsemane would have taken a fair amount of time. I am guessing, Jesus was very quiet. The only part of the conversation we know was about Jesus being deserted by his followers. (Mark 14:27-31) The night was filled with the gloom of the coming events. In verse 40, we are told the disciples didn't know what to say.  So, I am guessing they were very quiet too. The walk across the valley would have been filled with unexpressed emotion. I don't know about you, but I have been there. I have been to the point, sitting with a friend going through a tough time, and not knowing what to say. When I try to decide what words are appropriate I just can't find them. The silence is deafening. 

As I have matured in my faith, when I do not know what to say, I go to the Lord in prayer. Many times this prayer is not vocalized. Sometimes a prayer in this moment is better left in the heart. Other times it is important to pray together with your friend. I am not sure I can explain how you know. But, we can always approach the throne of God. He knows what to say even when we are at a loss for words. 

'In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not
know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes
for us through wordless groans. ' Romans 8:26https://my.bible.com/bible/111/ROM.8.26

I am so thankful to worship a God that knows me, he cares for me, he loves me, and when I cannot find words, he intercedes. I praise God for that kind of personal relationship!

Looking across to the walls of Jerusalem from Gethsemane

This path going between Jerusalem and Gethsemane may have been the exact path Jesus took with his disciples the night before his crucifixion. 


This is the eastern gate, the Golden gate to the Old city. Jesus would have used this gate often on his way to Gethsemane and the Mount of Olives. 

Beautiful flowers of Gethsemane.

The Olive trees here in the Garden would have been present on the night Jesus prayed here. At the very least, the roots of these trees live for thousands of years. 



The Church of Gethsemane

Inside the church is a rock where Jesus might have prayed!

Here is a video from inside the church and a service being held there. This is such a beautiful place.


No comments: