Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Israel 2022 - Relfection #29 - Western Wall


Our trip to the Western Wall was filled with a wide range of emotions. As we were entering through the gate of the Old City the first thing we see is a Bar Mitzvah taking place. I was able to capture part of the celebration in the video below:



During the entire afternoon, we were surrounded by Israeli military personnel. I have to admit it was a little unnerving to see this presence throughout the area. Then we split men and women to pray at the wall. That was such a powerful moment realizing that I was at such a sacred spot for many Jews and this last remaining remnant of the outer wall of the Temple area has such a key place in the hearts of Christians as well. Jesus loved coming to the Temple to teach. I could not get out of my mind these verses in Isaiah --

'“I will also bless the foreigners who commit themselves to the
Lord , who serve him and love his name, who worship him and
do not desecrate the Sabbath day of rest, and who hold fast to
my covenant. I will bring them to my holy mountain of Jerusalem
and will fill them with joy in my house of prayer. I will accept their
burnt offerings and sacrifices, because my Temple will be called
a house of prayer for all nations. For the Sovereign Lord , who
brings back the outcasts of Israel, says: I will bring others, too,
besides my people Israel.” ' Isaiah 56:6-8https://my.bible.com/bible/116/ISA.56.6-8


I certainly felt joy praying at this remnant of the Temple. It is such an honor to be welcomed at this Holy site even though we were not born into the Jewish faith. I also felt awe and reverence as I placed my hand on the stone, placed my written prayer in the crack, and had a peaceful time meditating with the Lord. I praise the Lord as an adopted member of his family.

But I also had a thought about Jesus' indignation in these verses:

'Jesus entered the Temple and began to drive out all the people
buying and selling animals for sacrifice. He knocked over the
tables of the money changers and the chairs of those selling
doves. He said to them, “The Scriptures declare, ‘My Temple will
be called a house of prayer,’ but you have turned it into a den of
thieves!” ' Matthew 21:12-13 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/MAT.21.12-13


The presence of the military and the general feeling I got from the crowd was not of reverence, it was more a feeling of carnival. Don't get me wrong, I did not see anything outwardly inappropriate and I understand the Bar Mitzvah and the Bat Mitzvah celebrations are Jewish religious ceremonies. I think the combination of the crowd and the activity in the area did not reach the level of reverence I felt a Holy Site should receive. 

As I am writing this and thinking about the desecration of the Temple that angered Jesus and reflecting how that relates to us, today. I reflect on these verses.

'Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit,
who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not
belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you
must honor God with your body.' 1 Corinthians 6:19-20https://my.bible.com/bible/116/1CO.6.19-20

How often do I think of my own body as a temple to the Lord, filled with the Holy Spirit, to be used for His glory? Jesus paid such a high price for me, he gave his life that I might live. The Holy Spirit fills me, loves me, guides me, and watches over me. Do I desecrate this temple, this holy place of the Lord? 

This was the Western Wall as we arrived in the morning in Jerusalem.

This was later in the day at the Western Wall. Tradition is to pray here and place a rolled up written prayer into the cracks between the large stones. 

I was a little intimidated by the extreme military presence. They often have a type of swearing in ceremony for new military members. It is my understanding that All Israeli citizens are required to serve in the military. 


No comments: