Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Ten Keys to a life Serving God - Relationships

 

This beautiful child briefly came into our life while we served on a short-term mission to Peru. The encounter was so brief but the impact of this little girl will be with us for eternity. I thank God every time I think of her. 

'Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my
God. Whenever I pray, I make my requests for
all of you with joy, for you have been my partners
in spreading the Good News about Christ from
the time you first heard it until now. And I am
certain that God, who began the good work within
you, will continue his work until it is finally finished
on the day when Christ Jesus returns. So it is right
that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you
have a special place in my heart. You share with
me the special favor of God, both in my imprisonment
and in defending and confirming the truth of the
Good News. God knows how much I love you and
long for you with the tender compassion of Christ
Jesus. I pray that your love will overflow more and
more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge
and understanding. For I want you to understand
what really matters, so that you may live pure and
blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return. May
you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the
righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ
—for this will bring much glory and praise to God. '
Philippians 1:3-11 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/PHP.1.3-11


God has designed us for relationships. He quickly created Eve to be a companion to Adam. God longs for a relationship with us, not because he needs us, but because he loves us so much.  
How amazing is it that God wants to call us friend? Jesus said, in John 15:14, "You are my friends if you do what I command."

So many men and women have come into my life that I call friend. Some I have not seen for years. For others our time together was brief, but the relationship was just as powerful as if we had known each other for years. As my mind drifts to think about the people of these chance encounters, this prayer of thanksgiving always comes to mind and just like Paul, these people hold a special place in my heart.

I pray that each of you cherishes your wife, your family, and your close friends. But, I also ask you to thank the Lord for the people he places in your life for a brief moment. We never know how long someone will be in our life. Take these moments and spread the gospel by your words and your actions. 

Jesus said the greatest commandments were to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. Then he added EQUALLY, we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. (Mark 12:30-31)

I tend to forget how important relationships are when I get busy and rushed. I always regret when I do not take the time to love people even if our meeting is brief. I need a reminder daily that my life is to focus on two things Love God and Love People. All the Law and the Prophets point to these two commandments. 











No comments: