Monday, August 8, 2022

Israel 2022 - Reflection #32 - Masada

 


This is a model of King Herod's palaces at Masada. Ironically, this massive fortress was never even visited by him! 

This historical Jewish site was another of the wonderful surprises I had on this trip. Before the gondola ride, and hearing the story of the siege, I had no idea this place even existed. It seems that King Herod built this fortress outpost at the southern end of the kingdom in the mid-first century BC. The legend does not fully develop until the middle of the first century AD when a band of Jewish Zealots numbering approximately 1000, occupied this fortress. The Roman army could not let this happen. So, the small band of Jewish nationalists held off an army of ten thousand Roman soldiers for three years. The Romans built a huge earthwork to get to the gate and finally ended up battering their way in. When they went inside, legend says, all they found were dead bodies. It seems the Jews chose suicide over serving as Roman slaves. There are many loopholes in this account, but most of what we know about this siege came from a generally reliable Josephus Flavius, a Jewish historian. 

For years, the Jews and the nation of Israel used this battle of David and Goliath as a rallying cry for their own battle to become a nation. It is very similar to our using "Remember the Alamo!" Most of that has changed as the nation of Israel no longer wants to idolize religious zealots. 

While these ruins were certainly fascinating, particularly the way they stored water in this dry and barren land, there really is little connection to the Bible. Masada is never mentioned in the Bible. However, some people believe King David would have come here in his flight from then King Saul. Engedi is nearby and so are the caves of Qumran. Some have speculated that David would have visited here and used this high impenetrable flat-top rock as a refuge and fortress. Even without King Herod's construction, this would have been a great defensive position. 

So if we speculate that David and his small band of men were also here, we can look at scriptures like Psalm 18:2 as possibly describing Masada. The Hebrew word used by David for "fortress" literally means Masada.

'The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my
rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that
saves me, and my place of safety. ' Psalms 18:2 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/PSA.18.2

I have always loved this scripture. Thinking about God as my fortress, my rock, my protection, my shield, and a place of safety is comforting during difficult times. I receive an amazing power and boldness knowing God is with me. Yet, as I think about the story of Masada, I get a different view of a fortress. A fortress, like Masada, is impenetrable, for a time. It is a place of safety, for a time. But, the enemy is patient. By plotting and scheming, the enemy can lie in wait, waiting until your hope is gone. The enemy can force you to make choices out of desperation and promote a view your situation is hopeless. 

If you look at Masada from a different perspective, you might feel a deep sadness that the faith of these religious zealots had its limits. Their faith in the Lord was centered in the surrounding bedrock and sandstone, the gates that barred the enemy, and the security of being protected within the walls of this fortress. Gideon took 300 men and defeated the Midianites, not through his strength and power, but through the strength and power of the Lord. 

I can only imagine hopelessness so deep that killing yourself and your family seemed to be the only way out. I am not sure how heroic that is. What kind of faith is that? Is that relying upon God as your protection, your shield?  Is it believing in a Savior to come to your rescue?

Our hope is in the Lord who reigns on heaven and earth. When all seems hopeless and the enemy has you surrounded, remember the Lord. Yes, GOD is my rock. HE is my fortress.HE is my savior. HE is my protection. HE is my shield. I praise him that even when it would be easier to give up, HE will rescue me!


The dead sea lies on the horizon. This is the view from atop Masada looking to the east.


The rooms below were storehouse rooms used by the inhabitants to store food for seige. They could live for an extended time of siege. 


This a model of Herod's palace built at Masada. Ironically, he never used it!

The trails seen below Masada are thousands of years old.

Rami is demonstrating the elaborate system used to store water at Masada. During the rainy season, rain water from Jerusalem is directed down hill to Masada through a series of channels and canals. The water was stored in caves, and cisterns. The supply could last for over a year.

Although it is difficult to identify, in the center of this picture is a ramp built by the Romans to attack the gates of Masada. 

Masada was not excavated until 1964 and it continues to reveal great mysteries of the life of this fortress. 


Video Animation that describes Masada in relationship to the current nation of Israel.





No comments: