Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Israel 2022 - Reflection #33 - En-gedi

 


One of my favorite stories in the Bible is that of David hiding in a cave having the opportunity to kill Saul who has ruthlessly pursued him and then David chooses to spare his life. 

' After Saul returned from fighting the Philistines, he was told that
David had gone into the wilderness of En-gedi. So Saul chose
3,000 elite troops from all Israel and went to search for David
and his men near the rocks of the wild goats. At the place where
the road passes some sheepfolds, Saul went into a cave to
relieve himself. But as it happened, David and his men were
hiding farther back in that very cave! “Now’s your opportunity!”
David’s men whispered to him. “Today the Lord is telling you,
‘I will certainly put your enemy into your power, to do with as you
wish.’” So David crept forward and cut off a piece of the hem of
Saul’s robe. But then David’s conscience began bothering him
because he had cut Saul’s robe. He said to his men, “The Lord
forbid that I should do this to my lord the king. I shouldn’t attack
the Lord ’s anointed one, for the Lord himself has chosen him.”
So David restrained his men and did not let them kill Saul. After
Saul had left the cave and gone on his way, David came out and
shouted after him, “My lord the king!” And when Saul looked
around, David bowed low before him. Then he shouted to Saul,
“Why do you listen to the people who say I am trying to harm
you? This very day you can see with your own eyes it isn’t true.
For the Lord placed you at my mercy back there in the cave.
Some of my men told me to kill you, but I spared you. For I said,
‘I will never harm the king—he is the Lord ’s anointed one.’
Look, my father, at what I have in my hand. It is a piece of the
hem of your robe! I cut it off, but I didn’t kill you. This proves that
I am not trying to harm you and that I have not sinned against
you, even though you have been hunting for me to kill me. ' 1 Samuel 24:1-11 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/1SA.24.1-11



I have to admit, every time I read this story, my inner junior high boy comes out. I just have to laugh at the thought of Saul going into a cave to relieve himself and what makes it amazing it is written in the Holy Bible!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA! I just can't help myself!

Ok, thank you for letting me share that!

As I re-read this story it makes me think of my friends and their understanding of this life I am living. When most people are sitting back taking life easy in retirement, here I am as busy and as active as ever, dedicating my life to finishing a Master's Degree in Biblical Studies, and beginning a full-time ministry. I also am a couple of weeks away from my first interview beginning the Ordination process within the Church of God. People look at me and say, "That doesn't look like much of a retirement!" They look at me just like David's men looked at him. As Saul stood right in front of David, God had given David the grand opportunity to take the throne he was already promised. I can just see the astonishment on the faces of David's men when he did not kill Saul. Instead, David took another path. God has called my wife and me to full-time ministry. We are taking another path. 

It is so easy to take the normal, worldly, path through life. It would be so easy to place a license plate on the front of my car saying "Retirement: Spending my Children's Inheritance." ( I have seen many of these.). Yet, I do not remember reading a retirement clause in Matthew 28:19-20. 

'Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing
them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have
given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the
end of the age.”' Matthew 28:19-20 https://my.bible.com/bible/116/MAT.28.19-20

What one thing is God calling you to do that your friends and family would not understand?  I am assuming you are not being pursued by the King and hiding in a cave. But, are you willing to answer God's call when the rest of the world expects you to do something else?

Thank you, Lord, for the reminder to step out of our comfort zone and follow your unique call for our lives!

The Oasis of Engedi

What a contrast between the stark desert and the small Oasis of Engedi.


Water is such a valuable commodity in this area and these springs are like unexpected treasures!


The desert awaits right around the corner!









No comments: