Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Your flock!

“Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example.”
1 Peter 5:2-3 NLT -- http://bible.com/116/1pe.5.2-3.nlt

I am so blessed to have a huge "flock". No, I'm not a Pastor. I don't run a church. I do have a wonderful growing family, a group of students, a CMA ministry, and countless friends in my flock. I am charged by God to care for the people in my life. It can be challenging, grueling, and exhausting to care for the lives of others. You stress out when they stress out. You mourn when they mourn. Their personal challenges become yours. You share their blood, sweat, and tears. We need to cherish that flock. 

Our relationship with our flock is not supposed to be two-way. We are supposed to give-all without getting anything in return. As a matter of fact our real purpose is to build up those that can not help others. To serve those that can't serve themselves is our highest calling. That love and servant heart is not to dominate, but to genuinely meet the needs of others.

How we lead our flock is just as critical as what we do. Our Christian leadership is about setting an example. It's about looking inward it's about that servant heart and not a position of authority. If we want our flock to grow in their relationship with the father, we need to constantly pursue him ourselves. Our relationship, our knowledge of God is never where it needs to be.

Dear Lord, give me a heart to serve my flock. Help me to keep a check on my motives and my attitudes toward serving others. I know your love. I know your example. The sending of your son, Jesus, is that perfect example. May I work toward that type of service. I praise you for your love. I praise you for the Hope you give! Amen!

No comments: