Sunday, February 3, 2013

Gone Fishing!

“Come, follow me,”  Jesus said,  “and I will send you out to fish for people.”    At once they left their nets and followed him. (Matthew 4:19, 20 NIV)


It's been a long time since I've gone fishing. We lived on a lake for about 4years. I remember how great it was to sit on the pier and just fish. It was easy to block the world out while waiting for that big catch. Most of the time it never came, but I thoroughly enjoyed the process. Most people say it takes patience to be a good fisherman. I say it takes more skill than patience. Had I spent more time learning to fish, I would have caught more. Maybe it wouldn't be so long between fishing expeditions.

Sometimes I fish for men like I fish at the lake. I don't take the time to really learn how to fish for men. I pretend like I know what I'm doing, but in reality, I don't. I can't be satisfied just going through the process, I need to constantly learn to share and bring others to Christ. Like fishing, I would be much more effective if I would spend more time learning from God. I need to do a better job building relationships with the lost. I need to lead them by my actions. I am Christ to these people. I better constantly look at how Christ would do and follow his lead.

As a member of CMA, I have a great opportunity to fish in a fully stocked pond. I need to sharpen my skills if I want to land them for Christ. The advantage I have? I have the best tutor and the best bait in the world. Jesus Christ and what he did for us, that is the best bait of all. If you can't get excited about sharing that, you are crazy. Thanks Lord, for your patience and love!

No comments: