Monday, January 2, 2012

Don't be lazy!


2 Thessalonians 3

 11 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat. 13 And as for you, brothers and sisters, never tire of doing what is good.


I have seen this in action first hand. Kids that are lazy are not good students. Kids who are lazy are disruptive. One of my passions in life is to get kids motivated. I am an athletic director because I have seen first hand what participation in extracurricular activities has done for kids. National statistics back-up what I've seen first hand. Kids need to be doing something beyond the normal school day. Kids need to feel like they have value. Kids need to feel wanted.  Adults need to feel they have value, also.

This is going to sound pretty political, but here goes! I don't think we do any favors for people giving them handouts. All over the world are examples of people who have gotten lazy and expect to receive handouts, mostly from government. It's always dangerous to make a general statement like that. I'm not lumping anyone who receives a government handout as lazy. I'm not saying people who don't have jobs are lazy. I am saying that we need to be careful not to create a class of lazy people who feel no hope and no value. I love working with kids. I love seeing them succeed and even though my part is minor. I feel at least some pride that I played a part building their character. I never tire helping kids grow up. When a kid grows up and views himself/herself as valuable, they will certainly succeed. Kids who see no value in their lives are doomed before they even get started. Everyone must feel hope and value. Hope and value are achieved through action. We have to get people contributing to society in a positive way. They can't view themselves as a drag on society. People need to be active. They need to do something with purpose.

When you accept Jesus as your Savior, you automatically develop a purpose in life. You automatically have a JOB. Spreading the message of Christ is our purpose. It doesn't matter what job you have. It doesn't even matter that you're unemployed. You could be working a no brainer job that barely makes minimum wage. Your vocation means nothing. If you want to feel valuable in life, lead someone to Jesus. See what Jesus does for them. Just going to work every day, just helping kids succeed is NOTHING compared to the satisfaction of knowing you helped someone receive the gift of eternal life. Talk about Value! Thats the ultimate value!

No comments: