Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I'm not that great!


2 Corinthians 10

 12 We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. 13 We, however, will not boast beyond proper limits, but will confine our boasting to the sphere of service God himself has assigned to us, a sphere that also includes you. 

It is so easy to compare ourselves to others. I have two YOUNGER brothers who are over 6' tall. I envied them and their stature compared to my shortness. I would have given anything to be taller. I also envy people who have the gift of prayer. They always seem to have the words to say. I've heard people envy people in education. They think it would be great to have the summers off. If they only knew!

I think we all know someone who thinks they are the greatest thing since "Sliced Bread". They don't ever look at anyone else in envy. They're too busy posing for the mirror! I am the first to tell you, I'm not that great. Lord knows, (and Stephanie has seen it first hand!) I'm not what I want to be. I am on a mission to be what God wants me to be. I'm not there, but I just want to take more steps forward than I do steps backward.

Humility is important for Christians. We, of all people, should know we're not that great. We are sinners, ALL of us. We should also be the first to acknowledge, any gifts we have come straight from the one who created the universe. Without God, without the saving grace of Jesus Christ, we are nothing. If we can boast anything, we should boast about the number of people we have led to Jesus Christ. Can any of us boast in that area?

No comments: