Sunday, July 10, 2011

Peace within you.

Psalm 122

 6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:
   “May those who love you be secure.
7 May there be peace within your walls
   and security within your citadels.”
8 For the sake of my family and friends,
   I will say, “Peace be within you.” 

I have been in churches my whole life. I have often heard the saying "Peace be with you." and then the response is "and also with you." But this verse puts a little different twist on it. I guess I'm hung up on the word "within" verses just "with". Maybe the difference is only in my mind, but I think of it is significant. I  checked, the King James version also has the same wording as do most other versions. So, it's not an interpretation. The saying "Peace be with you" comes straight from our risen savior in John 20:19. SO I am not trivializing this worthwhile greeting. But, their is a difference.

My impression of saying "Peace be with you." is a focus on the external. It gives the subtle impression that the Peace is out of your control. It is what people do to you, or what your circumstances are, that would cause you peace. When you say "Peace be within you" clearly you are in control of your peace. Maybe I'm crazy, but I had never thought of this before. 

We are in control of our own peace. Well, that's not entirely true. We are in control of the choice to be at peace. Our choice is simple. Choose Christ or not. That's it. I wish "Peace within in you" because I wish Christ to take up residence within you. That is the peace. It's not what others do to you. It's not the circumstances you're in. It is not your job, your family, you finances, your health, or your emotional pain. If everything in your life appears to be perfect you can still be without peace.  Peace within you comes from one source, Christ. Christ alone! It's true when he stood in the room with the disciples greeting them and it's true today when he takes up residence in your heart. His presence brings peace.

So from now on I will say, "Peace be within you" or I will respond "and also within you." 

No comments: