Friday, July 22, 2011

Green Grass is Biblical..........almost!

Psalm 129

4 But the LORD is righteous;
   he has cut me free from the cords of the wicked.”
 5 May all who hate Zion
   be turned back in shame.
6 May they be like grass on the roof,
   which withers before it can grow;
7 a reaper cannot fill his hands with it,
   nor one who gathers fill his arms.
8 May those who pass by not say to them,
   “The blessing of the LORD be on you;
   we bless you in the name of the LORD.”

I have grass growing on the brain and then all the sudden these verses pop up in my study. I have been spending an inordinate amount of time watering grass. It's been 100 degrees here and the grass is under stress. Not just here at home but on all of our athletic fields at GHS. We have automatic sprinklers, but they do not water the edges very well. God meant grass to be green. I am doing everything to make sure that happens. So, i move and reposition sprinklers every day, all day long. Today I let God water it. He sent a great deluge of rain. Everything got a good soaking.

As I read this verse, I got a chuckle thinking about growing grass on my roof at home. I thought how tough it would be to get on the roof and water it. I'm also not sure I want to mow it. Would it be just another place for "Dandelion Wars" (I always win!)

I am sure the Lord never meant these verses to bring such humor. But, they did. Maybe he did mean it to bring humor to me today. Isn't it amazing how the Lord speaks to us? I love to read his word. I love to let the Holy Spirit take hold of my mind and speak to me in the way God intended. Yes, I also love it when his word makes me laugh. God is amazing. Those who say he is not alive and active just don't get it. He wants to be a part of our life, but we have some responsibility to make that happen. We need to seek him and open our minds and hearts to him. We need to live in the gift he gave us, the Bible.  If we do that, he will make us laugh and so much more! Praise God for his love! Praise God for his word.

No comments: