Monday, July 25, 2011

I promise!

Psalm 132

A song of ascents.
 1 LORD, remember David
   and all his self-denial.
 2 He swore an oath to the LORD,
   he made a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
3 “I will not enter my house
   or go to my bed,
4 I will allow no sleep to my eyes
   or slumber to my eyelids,
5 till I find a place for the LORD,
   a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.”

Have you ever made such a promise to God? Did you follow through?

It is so easy to  make a vow to God, but it is much harder to follow through. David was completely dedicated to providing God with a home, the Temple. God didn't ask for the temple. But, David felt uncomfortable living in a palace while God lived in a tent. So, he dedicated his life to build a grand home for God. God did not let him build the temple but his son, Solomon, did. David was weak at times and lost focus on the Lord. But, he worked hard to make sure he honored God even in his weakness. He never saw the fruit of his efforts but his efforts were behind the eventual completion of the temple. God was proud of him and chose to dwell there. 

It was Davids dedication handed down to his son that made this happen. David followed through for God. He was not perfect, but he continued to try to honor God and finally accomplished it though he was not alive to see it. 

How serious am I about my oath to the Lord? What lengths would I go to follow through for him?  Sometimes I am absolutely on fire for the Lord. I am dedicated to his will and to honor him. Other times, I am weak of heart and I don't even remember to talk to God, let alone follow through with my oath.  

God is not impressed with our words. He is not impressed with our "Oath" to him. He is impressed with our actions. He is impressed with our willingness to work until the end of our days for him. 

Lord, Help my weakness. Give me strength to stand up for you. Help me to do your will every day of my life and every breath I breathe. Lord, I love you is just words if I don't follow up on that Love with doing your will. Forgive me for my weak heart and give me the strength to work for you! Amen!

No comments: