Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I exalt me!

Psalm 75 (New International Version, ©2011)

 1 We praise you, God,
   we praise you, for your Name is near;
   people tell of your wonderful deeds.
 2 You say, “I choose the appointed time;
   it is I who judge with equity.
3 When the earth and all its people quake,
   it is I who hold its pillars firm.[b]
4 To the arrogant I say, ‘Boast no more,’
   and to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up your horns.
[c] 5 Do not lift your horns against heaven;
   do not speak so defiantly.’”

 6 No one from the east or the west
   or from the desert can exalt themselves.
7 It is God who judges:
   He brings one down, he exalts another.

Arrogance is not a positive character trait. I have been listening to Donald Trump on the news lately. It appears he is the front runner in the early race for the Republican nomination for President. I can't imagine we won't have another choice. Mr. Trump is as arrogant a person as I have seen. Arrogance according to Miriam Webster is: 


an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.


I can truly say that Donald Trump fits this definition to the extreme. I can't say what type of President he would be, but can he truly be as great as he says he is. He brags about his business sense. He fancies himself as a ladies man, and he views himself as a great Television star. Does that mean he would be a great President? I think I look more for a humble person to represent the people of the United States. I look up to a person who is more "human" and down to earth. If you look at our present leader, I get the same feeling of arrogance from him. Is that a pre-requisite for running for President. Would the American people vote for a President who speaks softly and has the heart of a servant. I'm afraid we wouldn't. Can you think of a politician that publicly portrays a humble servant's heart? I want my leaders to be confident. I want them to have convictions. I want them to lead. But, I do not want them to be arrogant! There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

When did it become popular to "exalt" ourselves? When did it become unfashionable to serve others? Jesus set the best example how to serve. Paul was arrogant and then transformed by God and chose the role of a servant. We need to be more servant like. We need to humble ourselves before the Lord, worship, and serve him and him alone!

No comments: