Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Complaint Department -- Take a number!

Psalm 64 (New International Version, ©2011)    

 1 Hear me, my God, as I voice my complaint; 
   protect my life from the threat of the enemy.
 2 Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked,
   from the plots of evildoers.
3 They sharpen their tongues like swords
   and aim cruel words like deadly arrows.
4 They shoot from ambush at the innocent;
   they shoot suddenly, without fear.

Do you ever feel like you are the "Complaint Department"? I am in a job that gets a few complaints now and then. I get complaints from Parents not happy with Coaches, Players not happy with playing time, Coaches not happy with Players, Coaches not happy with Parents, and Coaches not happy with other Coaches. I think you get the point! It can be draining at times. Sometimes I think people just need to vent. I'm ok with that. If I can provide that opportunity and it makes them feel better, I guess it's worth it. Every once in a while I have someone stop by my office and thank me, or tell me I'm doing a good job. Not that I need this to survive, but it is pretty nice and makes me feel like it's worth it.

Do you think God feels like the complaint department? If it's dependent upon me, I can imagine he does. At the very least I usually have a long list of things I want God to change. I don't hesitate to give him advice. I also have been critical, at times, of his PLAN. I don't think I'm the only one who does this.

How often do I just spend time praising him?  How often do I just thank him for the blessings and his wonderful plan. How often do I just listen?  I am ashamed to say, I rarely do this. So, tonight, when I spend my time with God, I will praise him, thank him, and worship him. I won't quote a laundry list of wants or complaints, or advice. I will just spend time with him. He deserves all my praise!

No comments: