Monday, April 18, 2011

The Church under siege!

Psalm 74 (New International Version, ©2011)

3 Turn your steps toward these everlasting ruins,
   all this destruction the enemy has brought on the sanctuary.

 4 Your foes roared in the place where you met with us;
   they set up their standards as signs. 
5 They behaved like men wielding axes
   to cut through a thicket of trees. 
6 They smashed all the carved paneling
   with their axes and hatchets. 
7 They burned your sanctuary to the ground;
   they defiled the dwelling place of your Name. 
8 They said in their hearts, “We will crush them completely!”
   They burned every place where God was worshiped in the land.


The Church is under siege . Just like marriage between a Man and a Woman (what other kind of marriage is there?), it is a real battle. The Bride known as the Church is also under attack. The attack grows stronger every year. The Liberal media, secularism, and down right apathy are all forces behind the reduction of the importance of the church in America. If we look in Europe, the attack has been going on for years and it almost seems hopeless. Here are a few statistics:



American church statistics have reported [via Goodmanson]:
  • In America, 3500 – 4000 churches close their doors each year
  • Half of all churches last year did not add one new member through conversion growth
  • Churches lose an estimated 2,765,000 people each year to nominalism and secularism
The 3,500-4,000 U.S. churches annual closure count is also cited by Ed Stetzer in “Planting New Churches in a Postmodern Age.”
Excerpted from The Condition of the Church in America, complied by Andy McAdams [via #mmi, 2005]:
  • 1,400 pastors in America leave the ministry monthly.
  • Only 15% of churches in the United States are growing and just 2.2% of those are growing by conversion growth.
  • 10,000 churches in America disappeared in a five-year period.
Would it make a difference in your life if your church closed? It sure would for me.

My wife and I have made a strong commitment to the ministry of the Christian Motorcyclist Association,CMA. Because of this we have not attend our church regularly recently. We have made church visits with CMA and attended CMA training events. Over the next several months, we will attend many different churches and organize our own services. I'm not complaining. I feel led to this ministry. But, I love the music, I love the preaching and teaching, I love the fellowship, and I love the worship that takes place at my church. It affects my life by encouraging me, by challenging me, by convicting me, and by supporting me. I need my church.

I can not imagine life without County Line Church of God. I also can't imagine why people don't find a church they feel the same. It pains me to think of America without the strong presence of the Church. The church has been critical in the development of this country and it is the moral compass of our society. It is the driving force behind our bill of rights and the constitution we defend. The Church is the primary force in winning people to Christ and securing eternal life through faith in Christ. We need the Church. 

Dear Lord, Bless the Church. Grant wisdom to church leaders and members to reach those who don't know you. Give us the strength to fulfill your Great Commission. We know that we may falter and we will fail on our own. But, with you we will have victory. Amen!

No comments: